It's that time of year again....football!! Y'all I can't tell you how much I love football season! I am an avid LSU fan and a pretty big Saints fan too. I went to LSU and the entire time I was there, we didn't have the best football team - ok, we didn't have a winning football team at all! But, I still got myself together and romped to that stadium with my friends and watched the Tigers play! Death Valley is like no other stadium in college football, and it is definitely an experience you will never forget. When I watch the LSU football games on TV, I really do get emotional when the band plays GEAUX TIGERS! It takes me straight back to those nights, 20 something years ago, when I sat and soaked up the LSU football game experience. Corny, I know, but all true.
One of the best parts of the game experience is tailgating. Oh my goodness, if you haven't been tailgating for college football, you have to go find one this season. Right away! And tailgating at LSU, the best! For night games, we would go early in the afternoon and eat, visit, and have a few adult beverages. There are tents and TV's. RV's and golf carts. Kids running around and throwing footballs. And food. Let me say that again....FOOD. This is the best part of the tailgate (besides the adult beverages - if that's your thing!). There are so many options when it comes to tailgate food (kind of like party food - which my sister and I LOVE - and I will do a whole different post on!), At some tailgates, there is a main dish, like jambalaya or gumbo (thank goodness for the main dish). I like to bring quick and easy snacks or appetizers. I have come up with some ideas for you that your friends will be talking about you all the way to the game (talking about you good! Not bad!)
1. Bean Dip- omg, if you haven't tried the bean dip that I posted about for July 4th, you are missing out. THE END. But no really, easy is an understatement and it's affordable. Just a tip - I'd double the recipe because it's going to disappear!
2. Guacamole- I mean, you can't go wrong with avocados. You can buy guacamole already made, or there are tons of really easy recipes all over Pinterest that you can throw together and be on your way.
3. Cocktail Sausages- I know you have seen these, and they are always a favorite. And simple is an understatement. And affordable. Literally, a bottle of ketchup OR chili sauce and a jar of grape jelly. Did I lose you? HA! No, it is simple and delicious. I like to mix it all up and put it in this small crockpot or a this larger crockpotthat is easy to transport. People will definitely rave about these! P.S. (there is even this LSU one!) Go get you a crock pot!!
4. Bloody Mary- If you like to drink adult beverages, this Bloody Mary mix is the bomb. I have to give credit to my big brother for introducing me to this one....all you need to add is the alcohol (or none if you want a virgin Bloody Mary) and it's on!
5. Chicken Strips - I am a total believer in ordering chicken strips or nuggets from a fast food restaurant. These platters are always a winner. You might have a few stragglers from other tailgates roaming to your spot!
6. Mobile Frito Pie- Why mobile you say? This is an old baseball park trick. Get small bags of Fritos, like these, cut along the widest side, and add chili and a plastic spoon. BINGO! Really, Really quick and easy and affordable.
7. Small Sandwiches- You could either order you some little sandwiches from a take out place, or you could make your own. They are easy and quick to make if you set up an assembly line and get to it. I love deli sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly and chicken salad. There is a place in Baton Rouge that we send my poor sister-in-law to on a regular basis to get the best chicken salad EVER! If you want to know where it is, give me a holler!
8. Cookies- Surely you didn't think I would write anything about food and not include a sweet?? I love cookies and all different kinds. You could always bring the good stand by chocolate chip cookies. Or, my lemon cookies are easy and to die for! You may be running the neighbors off again!
So these are just a few ideas to get you on your tailgating way. And you know what? If you aren't going to a tailgate, these would all be perfect to have right at home while watching the game! The older I get, the thought of the crowd at a football game almost makes me enjoy the tailgate more! 😃 Go have fun, watch your football wherever you want, and always be prepared with your quick and easy tailgate food!
Oh, and totally non-food related, my dog will be the MOST stylish in his LSU t-shirt that you can see here, or click the picture below!