So in Louisiana, really cold days are rare....and most people around here either love them or despise them! I LOVE them....my oldest daughter DESPISES them! She is cold in the summer here though, so she can't be trusted! :) Anyway, we have had some unusually cold days here lately and I love hot chocolate when I am cold. Normally, I do the Swiss Miss thing, heat the milk or water, open the packet and voila'! (Which there is nothing wrong with that-quick and easy!)
BUT, I was alone one night (gasp-I spent years wishing for a night alone, and now I'm alone A LOT! Teenagers and a working husband will get me there I guess?) ADHD alert.....I decided to make homemade hot chocolate and I found a recipe for White Chocolate Hot Chocolate, and thought "why the heck not? I'm home alone, I don't have to make 2 tons of it, no one will tell me it looks terrible, stinks, whatever else they can say..:))". And, I love chocolate. I am not a huge fan of white chocolate, but I decided to give it a try!!!
O.M.G.....(I'll bet you knew I was going to say that!) It was so, so good. Like, I think I made enough for 2 servings and yep, I drank both of them. And it was so easy! I literally heated up a few ingredients and I was drinking homemade white chocolate hot chocolate! It literally probably took me 6-8 minutes total, which after the way it tastes, I will make anytime I have the time to do it, instead of the packet. So, now you want the recipe? Ok, I guess....
WHITE CHOCOLATE HOT CHOCOLATE
Makes: 2 servings
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 8 ounces of white chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- whipped cream, or marshmallows, more chocolate, anything you would like to top it with
- Combine all ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Whisk frequently, until the chocolate has melted and the hot chocolate is smooth. DO NOT allow the hot chocolate to boil. You will have curdled milk!
- Serve hot, with whipped cream, marshmallows, shaved chocolate, sprinkles, or anything that you like to top your hot chocolate with.
- Enjoy! And repeat! :)
I had all of these ingredients in my kitchen already because lots of my recipes call for half and half or whipping cream and I keep all kinds of chocolate! I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the white chocolate so much, but it was smooth and cream and delicious!
Now, I'm looking for a good regular homemade hot chocolate recipe....any suggestions?